-->

We Were Liars by E.Lockhart Book Review

09:31

We Were Liars is E. Lockhart at her best. I recently read (and fell in love with) the book and so today I am going to review it. 

The story hooks you in from the very first page and is unputdownable!

The blurb ~

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.
 
We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. 

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.


Looking at the front cover of this book and reading the blurb I didn't think the book would contain the kind of story that it does. The plot is a work of fractured art and the plot twists are in all the right places.


The book is beautifully written as Lockhart creates impeccable imagery and symbolism that blows your mind. Lockhart writes characters in such a way that you feel like you've known them for your whole life, you are really able to form a deep connection with each of the characters. And I kid thee not, once I had finished the book, I had to take a few days out to mourn..


This novel is incredible and twists and tugs at your heart. It is so haunting and has so many valuable messages swirling between the lines. I would definitely recommend you read this book!


There wasn't anything I didn't like about this book apart from at the end when some of the characters 'swam' away, out to sea. I thought that was a little obscure however if I were writing this book I wouldn't be able to think of another way to end it so I shouldn't really complain!


I rate this book 5/5 because it is one of those books I will never be able to forget.

My favourite quotes from the book -

"Do you understand, Cady? Silence is a protective coating over pain." - Page 41

"Now, let me ask you this. Who killed the girls?
The dragon? Or their father?" - Page 65

"Be a little kinder than you have to." Mirren
"Never eat anything bigger than your ass." Johnny
"Do not accept an evil you can change." Gat
"Always do what you are afraid to do." Cadence
- Page 113-114

"If you want to live where people are not afraid of mice, you must give up living in palaces." - Page 119

"I will prove myself strong, when they think I am sick.
I will prove myself brave, when they think I am weak." - Page 154

"Variations." - Page 155

"We burned not a home, but a symbol.
We burned a symbol to the ground." - Page 164


Let me know in the comments if you have read this book and please let me know what you thought!
Shop This Post -
Useful Links -
xoxo Ellen

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Total Pageviews